Why need remove label or sticker adhesive?
In our daily lives, a wide variety of labels and stickers can be found everywhere, serving purposes far beyond just providing product information and brand display. These labels are also extensively used for packaging presentation, decoration, personal expression, safety warnings, and more. For products that are reused, it’s necessary to regularly replace packaging labels or remove outdated stickers to ensure the surface of the product remains clean and tidy, as well as to keep the information up-to-date and accurate.
13 methods to remove label or sticker adhesive?
1. Peel and Rub
If the sticker has just been applied or uses removable glue, you can gently peel it off with your fingers.
2. Hot Soapy Water
Fill a dish with hot water, add detergent or soap, and soak the stickered item for half an hour. The hot soapy water softens the adhesive, making it easier to remove the residue with a cloth or fingers. Suitable for small-sized items.
3. Cooking Oil
Pour some cooking oil on stickers on glass or plastic surfaces, wait for half an hour for the oil to gradually soften the glue, then use fingers, a plastic scraper, or a cloth to slowly remove it.
4. White Vinegar
White vinegar is a strong acidic substance that can dissolve adhesive residue on surfaces and also has disinfectant properties, making it an excellent natural cleaner. There are two ways to use white vinegar to remove glue: pour vinegar directly on the glue and wait half an hour before wiping it off; or mix vinegar with hot soapy water, soak the adhesive area for about an hour, then wipe off the glue with fingers or a cloth.
5. Rubbing Alcohol
Alcohol or high-concentration spirits are commonly used to remove adhesive residue. For light or weak glue, pour alcohol on a cloth and rub to remove. For more and stronger glue, place a cloth soaked in alcohol on the residue, wait half an hour for the alcohol to soften the glue, and then wipe it off. Alcohol is safe for use on wood, plastic, and glass surfaces.
Peel off a small part of the paper material and then use a hairdryer to heat the adhesive part of the sticker. Once heated, the glue will soften, and you can slowly peel it off while heating. This method is not suitable for plastic surfaces as heating may deform them.
7. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter, a common kitchen ingredient, is also a choice for removing adhesive residue due to its oiliness. Apply peanut butter to the adhesive residue, wait for half an hour to soften the glue, then wipe off the residue with a cloth.
Mayonnaise, another kitchen miracle, can also be used to remove glue. It contains both the acidity of vinegar and the oiliness of fats. Apply it to the adhesive residue, leave it for 15 minutes to enhance the softening of the glue, then easily wipe off.
9. Nail Polish Remover (Acetone)
Nail polish remover contains a chemical called acetone, a common product for women, and can also remove glue. Acetone is effective for removing glue; apply it directly to the glue or on a cloth and wipe off without needing to wait.
WD-40 is a multipurpose lubricant spray that can also be used to remove glue. Spray it on the residue, wait a few minutes, and then wipe it off with a cloth.
11. Rubber Eraser
For thin layers of glue, try using a rubber eraser. Gently rub the surface of the glue; the eraser will roll up part of the glue during the rubbing process, thus removing the residue.
12. Commercial Adhesive Removers
There are more and more types of commercial glue removers available. Choose the right one for your product and follow the instructions strictly, then wipe off the glue.
13. Steel Wool
If the above methods do not remove the glue, try using steel wool. Soak the steel wool in hot soapy water and then scrub the surface with some force. This method easily removes the glue but may scratch surfaces. It’s generally safe for hard surfaces like glass.
How to remove label or sticker adhesive from different surface?
How to get sticker residue off glass
There are two scenarios to consider when dealing with stickers on glass. First, if the sticker has not yet completely dried, you can use a hairdryer to gently blow hot air while peeling it off. For any remaining sticky residue, use a cloth soaked in alcohol or containing white wax to wipe away the marks.
In the second scenario, if the glue on the glass has completely dried, you should first soften the glue by either placing a hot towel over it for a few minutes or using a hairdryer to blow hot air. Then, use a cloth soaked in alcohol or containing white vinegar to gently wipe away the glue residue.
How to remove sticker residue from plastic
Due to the tendency of plastic to deform under high temperatures, it’s not advisable to use a hairdryer for removing glue. For small plastic items with glue, you can immerse them in hot soapy water for about half an hour, and then gently peel off the sticker. Any remaining adhesive can be wiped off with white vinegar. For larger plastic items, first cover the glue with a hot towel for a few minutes to soften the adhesive. Afterwards, use a cloth soaked in white vinegar or cooking oil to gently wipe away the glue residue.
How to remove sticker residue from metal
- Heat Treatment Method: Since stainless steel does not deform due to temperature changes, it is suitable to use a hairdryer to heat the adhesive on the surface, or to soak the area in hot water to soften the glue. Afterwards, use a cloth dampened with alcohol to wipe off the remaining traces.
- Edible Oil or Olive Oil Method: Apply edible oil or olive oil on the glue, let it sit for a moment, and then wipe it off with a soft cloth. This method gradually dissolves the glue. Finally, clean the area with hot soapy water.
- Alcohol or Acetone Method: Pour a small amount of alcohol or acetone onto the glue, then gently wipe it with a soft cloth to dissolve the glue gradually. Finish by cleaning the area with hot soapy water.
- Specialized Adhesive Remover Method: There are specialized adhesive removers available on the market. Apply them according to the product instructions, let it sit for a while, and then wipe it clean with a cloth soaked in hot soapy water.
- Toothpaste Method: Apply a reasonable amount of toothpaste to the glue, wipe it with a soft cloth to gradually dissolve the glue, and then clean the area with hot soapy water.
How to get stickers off wood
- Hot Air Treatment Method: Since wood does not deform easily with temperature changes, it is suitable to use a hairdryer to heat the surface with the glue, or to immerse the wood in hot water to soften the adhesive. After this process, use a cloth soaked in alcohol to wipe off any remaining glue traces.
- Alcohol or White Vinegar Cleaning Method: Apply a small amount of alcohol or white vinegar to a cotton ball or soft cloth, then evenly spread it on the glue and let it sit for a while. Alcohol or white vinegar can effectively dissolve the glue, making it easier to clean.
- Lemon Juice Removal Method: Cut a lemon in half, squeeze out the juice, and apply it directly to the glue residue. The citric acid in lemon juice helps to break down the glue.
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil Softening Method: Dab a bit of olive oil or vegetable oil onto a cotton ball and apply it evenly to the glue residue. The oil helps to soften the glue, making it easier to remove.
How to remove vinyl wall and window stickers
Use a hairdryer to blow hot air directly at the adhesive part of the sticker to soften the glue, then easily peel off the sticker. If there are any small, stubborn adhesive residues left after peeling, you can use other sticky tools, such as transparent tape, to adhere to and remove them after the hot air treatment.
How to get stickers off a car
If you want to remove the sticker glue without damaging the car’s paint, please follow these steps:
First, use a hairdryer to heat the car decal, which will gradually soften the sticker. Peel it off gently while heating, making it easy to remove. However, there might still be some residual glue on the car’s surface. In this case, spray white vinegar or an adhesive remover on the remaining glue, then gently wipe it off with a cloth, and finally clean the surface with hot soapy water.
Considering these issues, if you prefer not to leave any glue residue, you can opt for removable car decals or magnetic car stickers.
How to get a sticker off a mirror
Heat the sticker with a hairdryer to gradually soften it. While heating, gently peel off the sticker, making it easy to remove. However, there might still be some glue residue left on the surface. At this point, you can apply alcohol or nail polish remover on the surface and then gently wipe it off with a cloth to remove the remaining glue. Finally, clean the surface with hot soapy water.
How to remove stickers from laptop
First, use a hairdryer to heat the sticker, softening it, then peel off a corner and continue to peel off the entire sticker while heating. Next, apply some edible oil or alcohol, and gently wipe off the glue with a cloth, followed by cleaning the surface with hot soapy water. Therefore, choosing removable adhesive for laptop stickers can save you from these troublesome steps.
In summary, the best method to remove glue residue varies depending on the situation. Considering the type of glue residue, its duration, and the different surfaces of items, choosing the appropriate method is crucial. When dealing with glue residue, it is essential to be careful and cautious to avoid damaging the items. If you are unsure about the safety of a particular method, it is advisable to first test it on a less visible area.